Total Pageviews

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Mapping deadline!

So I realized I have no posts for the whole mapping project, which was a part of our induction. And since today is our deadline, I thought I should write a post on what I've learnt from each of the 5 projects we have to submit.
I'll be honest with you, when I first heard we had to map, I wasn't so impressed. But mapping out spaces brings out spatial qualities I never knew.
Initially, we were chose to discover Chelsea in a new light. The focus was on body positions and how they provide us with different perspectives around the university. We chose to have our group stand in a circle, almost like statues to gain various viewpoints. From that, we took pictures and created a map of our journey.
Our second project involved 'stalking' - this was fun! We had decided to start off in the canteen, as it pretty much the centre point of our university, and from that scatter according to the person we're following. I chose to follow the cleaner and I thought it was quite interesting, as he took me on a different route to get to the library, which is somewhere I go very often. We went through the crypt and fire escape. Although it was a short journey, it was hectic as well, as he had to keep running back to the storage room to get his cleaning equipment if he spotted a spill. From that, I mapped my journey and combined it with our group. We each used a different coloured string and eventually you see our strings rolled up into a ball - each of the people we stalked will continue with their journey back home...
We were then told to map a book. And as vague as this sounds, it can actually be quite interesting. I found a book on tree house living, and according to that mapped out my safe spots which traced back home and other countries.
Mapping the victoria and albert museum was quite a task. Although it was incredibly beautiful, and there was so much to see, like a child, I got easily distracted. Thus, I decided to follow children around the museum to see what they got up to, and I must say it made the project a lot more enjoyable. Lastly, we were told to map London! My first and final idea was to think about places which are familiar to me, and yet I still need direction. I chose Harrods, as I always get lost there! After drawing out a rough cross section, and then eventually a scale plan of the ground floor, one that I visit often, I was able to understand why I need direction. The floor is so busy, that it almost seems like a maze when I walk in, but in addition to that, there are so many distractions; confectionary, perfumary, handbags! I feel the need to stop and look for something every time I try and get to my destination.
So I have to say the journey has been quite a ride! But for now, a much deserved break from mapping is needed!

No comments: